Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Disappointing Ovaries

Today we had another ultrasound and I'm trying really hard not to be super bummed. My right side, which is usually packed full of beautiful follicles, has basically pooped out in the most disappointing fashion. My left side is definitely more dominant this time and is picking up a bit of the slack, but not quite enough.

I was so bummed and distracted that I didn't take a legible photo of our sticky note to post. So, I decided to rewrite a more festive version to bring in some positive vibes. Last cycle we had 10 follies at this point and as you can see, we only have 6 this time and they're on the small and peaky side. My estrogen came in supporting their scrawniness at only 486 so we've still got a long way to go. 

Since the follies are coming along so slowly, I'm going to need to stim for longer than I'd planned. I bought enough Menopur for 11.5 days, through Saturday morning, and the nurse suggested that I'd need enough to get through the weekend. That means three more 5 vial boxes of Menopur from the Kaiser pharmacy for a total of just shy of $900. I was short on Omnitrope as well, I only bought enough for 8 days instead of 12 with the increased dosage, so I picked up a third cartridge of that which Kaiser was wonderful enough to cover for the second time. Small victories, I'll take them where I can get them.

Last night was also day one of Cetrotide and I'd managed to forget in the past 5 weeks how badly this stuff itches. It only lasts about 2 hours but my skin turns red, swells up like crazy and I feel like I need to scratch my skin off. I also hate the pre-filled syringes it comes with, they never prime properly and always leave a nasty bruise. Instead, I prefer to inject the liquid into the powdered vial, switch it out for a regular 3ml syringe, use the included mixing needle, and use one of my own 27 1/2 gauge needles to inject.  My 3ml locking syringes are always reliable, easy to prime, and the 27 1/2 needles almost never bruise like the too small 30 gauge or too long 27 3/4 needles. The smaller needles cut capillaries = bruise and the longer needles are the same thickness but go just deep enough to bruise too. Bleh.

I just finished injecting tonight's meds and I'm wishing, hoping, and praying that more follies pop up and that they all mature. I don't think the cycle is poor enough to cancel but I'm so worried we won't get enough mature ones to get our good embryos. Come on ovaries, you can go it. Grow follies, grow!

No comments:

Post a Comment