When I got home from work this evening around 8:15pm, I found this letter waiting for me from ART, the surgical center in my clinic.
![]() |
| Um, No. |
As you can see, there are several mistakes. For starters, it lists my ICSI fee as being for a third cycle - this is only my second. I actually owe them $150 more than the bill says here.
Secondly, they want $3950 for aCGH testing. This is so far off that it's crazy. We did in fact decide to add aCGH testing on, but we're paying Reprogenetics directly and the fee is only $2,250. That's no where near 4 grand and there's no way I'm paying that to ART. All of our dealings with Reprogenetics have been direct, there's no reason SCRC/ART should have any part in fee collecting for them.
Their third and final strike is the $1650 for embryo biopsy. Here the number is correct, but we've already paid it. Before signing up with SCRC, I confirmed over and over again that the fee for embryo biopsy was once due once when purchasing their two cycle plan. As I've already paid them their $1650 when we did our first cycle, we will not be paying it again.
I'm hoping these were innocent mistakes but I admit it really cheeses me off. I went over this with all the different financial departments - SCRC, ART and Reprogenetics and I was so hoping we wouldn't get slammed with the usual financial fuckery. When our first cycle got billed correctly I thought we'd avoided any pitfalls but it looks like I got ahead of myself. I left a voicemail for my financial contact at ART since it was way after business hours and I sent an email to my financial contact at Reprogenetics.
Your clinic and labs hold all the cards when you're doing IVF - they literally have your embryos, your potential children, the lab has my probe, and SCRC has over $20,000 of our dollars so it's not exactly like we can stamp our feet and refuse to pay if they won't fix the problem. With any luck, I'll get two satisfactory answers tomorrow correcting this estimate because there's no way I can give them another $6,600.

No comments:
Post a Comment