Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The Happiest Place on Earth

Disneyland in the rain. Beautiful!

Somewhere along the way, wedding planning started to get a little stressful. I think it began when we realized that we had very little control over certain aspects of our wedding, important aspects like chairs, tables, linens, etc. This tends to happen when other people are responsible for things, and since our wedding is a multi-funded event, we're counting on a lot of people getting their ducks in a row.

People Count Thus Far:


- Rehearsal Dinner, Reception Food and Cake - E's Mom
- Venue & All Rentals - E's Stepdad G
- Photographer, Candy Bar, Invites, Booze, Flowers - My Mom
- Wedding Dress - My Faux Auntie
- Photobooth - Awesome Best Man
- Farewell Brunch - Awesome Best Man's Awesome Mom
- Flower Arranging - E's Stepdad's Wife
- Save the Dates, Rabbi, Candy Bar, Wedding Party Gifts, Ketubah - E and I

That's only the tip of the iceberg and we're already up to 9 people! I have to let go of my OCD planning and just let stuff happen, but it's really hard for me. We still don't have any rentals booked, the photobooth, the rehearsal dinner or brunch, etc etc. I keep having nightmares in which 200 people show up and we have no chairs or tables! Every once in a while, E and I will look at each other in panic and say "this is going to be a disaster!"



The most recent disaster moment was when we realized that E's stepdad had a very different idea of a DJ then we did, which means that instead of G providing one, we're going to have to book one somehow for 800-1200.  Add in my car needing expensive repairs (now MORE than $700 ahfgsjgfjsf!) and it's been a stressful couple days. The car and DJ were the last straws, after that E decided we needed a break and we needed one now.  We get very little privacy living with my fam and I was starting to get some jitters from the stress and wondering what the hell we were doing trying to get married. Twelve hours later we were on our way to the happiest place on earth, Disneyland!

E and I, we have on approximately 38458364538 layers. I'm wearing TWO pairs of pants!

Disneyland is the kind of place where it's impossible to not smile. We haven't been just the two of us in AGES because it's so insanely expensive but we decided to say screw it and just go. At the last second, I found shady discount tickets and saved us major bucks. We got two one day park hopper passes (Disneyland AND California Adventure Land) for $114.00 with fastpass! These tickets would have cost us $202.00 so I was Majorly stoked and my inner penny-pincher was appeased.  For your own super shady but totally legit Disneyland tickets, see lafuntickets.net. Life changing, my friends. I kid you not.

Indiana Jones, our first ride! I waited in line for like three hours when this ride first opened. 

So, Los Angeles is currently in the middle of one of the longest rain storms EVER in it's history. Okay, maybe not the longest or biggest (that would be a day in 1943 - 26" in one day!) but it has been raining for like a week and we have broken some daily records. That's pretty much unheard of for Los Angeles. Thus, our grand plan was to go to Disneyland on a rainy day to avoid the crazy lines, and overall it worked wonders!


Splash Mountain,  we're hardcore like that         CA Screamin' went so fast the rain hurt!

We got there around 11am, walked right through the gate and were on our first ride in less than 10 minutes. We planned really well with warm layers under waterproof ones plus hats, gloves and an umbrella to keep us toasty. The longest line we encountered all day was a 45 minute wait for space mountain, the ride that Always has a line. With the extra money we saved from the tickets, we treated ourselves to some crab cakes and fillet mignon at our favorite Disney restaurant The Blue Bayou in one of our favorite rides, The Pirates of the Caribbean. Even with the rain we got the very last reservation they had for the day!

The Haunted Mansion. Not so spooky when decked out for Christmas.

Best of all, we had a fantastic day with just the two of us. There were NO arguments, a truly amazing feat considering that E forgot the camera battery, we had to pick up our tickets, I got soaked on the log ride at night (and I am not happy when wet and cold), and we had to drop off our rented tickets and drive home in rain so bad we had almost no visibility. It was a really, really nice reminder that despite all the crap going on we do really love each other and want to get married. Although we might fight about what days to spend at what house when house sitting, the television and french pastries, at the end of the day we're making the right decision and we're in it for the long haul.

The Hollywood Hotel Elevator. I'm smiling because E's just told me the elevator isn't going to fall again. Two seconds later, it fell. Again.

No comments:

Post a Comment