Friday, December 24, 2010

Glasses My Heart


Unlike most ladies, I love my glasses. And when I say love, I don't mean oh I like wearing them better than contacts, I mean I'm head over heels for them. I have refractive amblyopia, diagnosed when I was four and a half years old. It essentially means that my brain and my left eye didn't communicate right. I never had strabismus or a floaty eye so no one knew until I went to my pre-kindergarden check-up that I was half blind (18/2500!). When I walked into a wall, they assumed it was because I was clumsy, not that I couldn't see the wall there on the left. In addition to wearing a pirate patch till I was 10, I've been wearing glasses since I was about five. 

Since I've always worn glasses, I've always used them to express myself. I like them bright, unique and with a healthy dose of bling. They're on my face from the second I open my eyes to the second I close them at night so they have to be comfortable as well. They should be plastic, instead of metal with nose pads, in a bright color preferably red or something equally fabulous, and if they don't have rhinestones on them they're not mine. 



My beloved vogues. 

I got these glasses in high school and wore them until they fell apart. After wearing them for years, I  found out they didn't make them anymore! I called every warehouse and supplier, even tried to have them duplicated but no luck. Red is my all time favorite color and I was completely in love with them. 

Boring specs. I hated these glasses but at the time they had Nothing with bling! 

After my vogue glasses broke, I was forced to get new ones. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a single decent pair with rhinestones. Since my glasses were literally unwearable, I had to buy new ones and these were the only ones with color. No rhinestones, no cat eyed shape, I was not fond of these. 

My babies <3

Then, I found these. After searching and searching on the internet, I came across Ed Hardy glasses and they were exactly what I was looking for. They looked fabulous on paper and when I went to look at them in person it was love at first sight. Our eyes met from across the room and I was sold. I love fish, love rhinestones, and love bright colors. These bad boys had all three! A previously unheard of combination in glasses! I immediately bought two pairs, one in purple and one in tortoiseshell. I got both with transitional lenses and have worn them everyday since. 

When my friend got married in July 2010, I naturally wore my specs to the wedding. Unfortunately, for the first time ever, the transitional lenses that protect my super sensitive eyes proved to be a problem. Since the wedding was outside in the sun, my glasses kept turning into sunglasses during every picture! The best man hid them in his jacket pocket for me in between staged photos, but there was nothing I could do about walking down the aisle. Their photographer wanted me to leave them off for the walk but  my eyesight is too crappy to go solo so I wore them anyway and had sunglasses in every picture. 

Sunglasses at the "alter". Not quite what I was going for...

Seeing these pictures made me realize that my specs might be a problem for my own wedding. I definitely didn't want to go without them, re: blind as a bat and my personality, but I also don't want sunglasses when we're saying our I do's. 

The solution? Buy a third pair and put in non-transitional lenses! The more glasses the merrier. This might seem crazy to some people, but I just can't imagine getting married without them and I probably would have ordered another pair just in case mine break. I ordered my third pair in bright purple and plan to put lenses in closer to the wedding. 

Is anyone else head over heels for their specs? Going to great lengths to make them work for you on the big day? Or am I alone in my craziness? 


No comments:

Post a Comment