Wednesday, June 11, 2014

The Times They Are A-Changin'

When I went in for my baseline ultrasound, a friendly nurse I haven't really worked with pulled me aside and informed me that I had neglected to fill out a necessary form. Apparently I had been listed as "single" in the computer instead of "married" and since I have a partner, they needed both our signatures for consent with the fertility treatments.

She started going through the forms, looking for the correct ones, and asked me to confirm that I have a partner or spouse.  I automatically said "Yes, I'm married" without thinking too much about it. The nurse paused for a moment, looked at me, and then asked "Is your spouse male or female?" I have to say, I was so impressed and proud in that moment that I almost hugged the nurse. I know it's probably a standard question, especially when a donor is involved, but it's amazing how far we've come and I have such high hopes for the future. I made a point of thanking her, told her how much I appreciated it, and collected the forms E and I will have to sign.

Yes
In the wake of the Wisconsin same-sex marriage ban falling to the wayside like so many of it's unjust fellows, I have so much hope that my children will get to grow up in a world where people aren't discriminated against based on gender or sexual orientation. It's so close I can almost see it coming over the horizon.

No comments:

Post a Comment