Friday, June 20, 2014

Cycle Acceleration!

While on my way to acupuncture this afternoon, I got a phone call from one of the nurses in the Kaiser infertility office. She had my marching orders for the next couple days and wanted to give me my instructions. I was driving so I had her on speaker and was listening for confirmation of Nurse C's instructions when this phone nurse said something completely different.

To Recap, Nurse C's Instructions:
During my appointment, Nurse C said I would require at least a couple more days of stimulation and had me order 10 more vials of Menopur. She guessed that we would be doing my IUI on Tuesday or Wednesday, and that I would be triggering on Sunday or Monday, with another appointment to check growth on Saturday. I would be continuing with my 6 vials of Menopur.

Phone Nurse's Instructions: 
Take the usual 6 vials of Menopur today and trigger on Saturday, with an IUI schedule for Monday. There would be no need to come in on Saturday.

This information did not at all jive with what Nurse C said. My E2 was good, yes, but with 7 follicles it was not the 200+ per 18mm follicle that we're looking for. It did not seem like a good idea to skip Saturday's ultrasound, this cycle and those follicles are too important to screw up. This also meant that we needed to have our donor vial on hand stat so I called the bank and placed our order over the phone. I'm so glad they store purchase history and credit card info, I never would have been able to place the order if the customer service rep didn't already have all my info in front of him.

When I got to acupuncture, I shared my concerns with my Acupuncturist S. Since she's a Certified Nurse Midwife at Kaiser, who has been there so long that she taught most of the OB/GYNs how to deliver babies (including my OB/GYN who is now the head of the department), she has an excellent relationship with most of the doctors, including Dr. K, and also happens to have her personal number. While I was on the table, having a treatment on my back this time, she gave Dr. K a call and talked over my procedure with her. I'm not sure if Dr. K had missed some notes or if she wasn't completely aware of the instructions given by Phone Nurse, but she agreed with me and S that I should be monitored on Saturday. At the very least, this would give us confirmation of the correct time to trigger so as not to leave viable eggs behind. I am incredibly grateful to have S on my team and feel much better about moving up the timeline as long as we check and make sure my eggs are mature first.

The new plan is to take 6 vials today, which I just did, and go in for another E2 draw and ultrasound at 7am tomorrow. I'm really not going to enjoy leaving the house before 6:30am but it's worth it to me to make sure these follicles are mature. If everything checks out, I have my trigger ready to go for Saturday and E has a rare day off on Monday. If they're still looking a little runty, I have more Menopur ready to go to give them a boost. Our vial will be picked up tomorrow and will be good and frosty for 5 days which gives us plenty of time. Whatever happens, we're prepared.

No comments:

Post a Comment