Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Mr. Pisser In The House

From previous posts, everyone knows I have a cat named Haji. I am pretty much out of ideas when it comes to this particular feline and could really use some help. He's always been a vindictive peer, peeing on shoes and luggage when you go on vacation, making sure to go right in front of you so you can see how angry he is. This I can handle since it has a clear cause and I already feel guilty about it anyway. The problem is that lately, he's been peeing inside the house ALL THE TIME. He's been to the vet, had two urine samples taken and according to them does not have crystals or a UTI. He's not peeing in one place or even one room so there's no way to predict where he'll go. Last night in a move that has me fully believing he understands the concept of irony, he peed on the clorox wipes. This morning it was the vase in the living room. A few days ago the treadmill in the living room got the royal wash. He's been known to pee if he wants chicken and you provide beef.

I can't see any clear reason for this behavior. No new animals have been introduced to our house or the neighborhood. He has a dog door he can go out to pee outside or we're happy to open the front door for him whenever he walks up to it. He has two big litter boxes inside including one in my room where he spends the most time. This new peeing has him ignoring the litter boxes entirely and instead of going outside he seems to leave the bedroom (sometimes, last night he peed in the bedroom), pick a spot to pee, and then come back to bed. He can jump and run and has no problem getting inside or out, he's choosing to pee inside and be a dick. And he'll do it right in front of my face. It's not even spraying vs peeing since he'll squat if he wants to pee on something on the floor and stand if he wants to pee on something upright. He's just that much of an asshole.

To complicate things, it's really cold outside and given his asthma I don't feel comfortable throwing him out. I've done it a few times but he sits by the door and waits to come back in and then pees on something anyway. Mostly he just wants to sleep on his perch in the warm and I want to let him as long as I can be sure I won't be stepping in any puddles. Does anyone else have a problem pee-er with no apparent preference for pee place? If I knew where he wanted to go I could put down foil or sticky paper or spikey plastic or something to deter him but there's no way to guess. We already spray him with a water bottle if he looks like he's about to go. We need some new ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment