Tuesday, October 5, 2010

MCAT Score Release - A new form of torture?

mcat
MCAT Pain

So tomorrow I should be getting my MCAT score. While the wait has been absolutely torturous, none of it has been quite so bad as the day before. I have that sinking feeling in my stomach that says "YOU BOMBED" and more often than not my stupid intuition is usually right. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised if I bombed, I'm generally a two test person who has to bomb a test to do well on it the second time but I was really hoping the MCAT would be different. The same thing happened with my SAT exam, I took it once and sucked and took it again and did well. I think more of it has to do with test anxiety than whether I actually know the material or not. The act of sitting in front of the computer to take the test empties my brain of it's previous knowledge and leaves me stumbling over even the simplest questions. I was hoping that practice exams would prevent the brain dump but I don't think they did. If I ever get through this and make it to medical school I should bookmark this post to look at when I bomb my USMILE for the first time.

I was really hoping for a 30 when I took the test but now I'm feeling like I got closer to a 20. Or a 2, depending on what mood I'm in. I don't think this round is going to be good enough to get me an acceptance but we'll know for sure tomorrow. The big question is, if I got a 2o do I even bother applying to DO schools? I don't want to go out of the country but I don't think even a DO school would take a 20 on the MCAT. Is it good experience to go through the application process or just a colossal waste of money? There are so many things to consider, especially the year long gap between application acceptances. What happens with the housing situation? Do we stay and bank 1500 a month to put toward a down payment, or do we move out and say screw the money to have some privacy? My honey's job is very unstable and unpredictable though, we often don't know how much work to expect from him month to month so I'm not sure it would be safe to move out. What would you do?

Okay. I got my score. No, I'm not telling. Yes, I need to take it again. Am I surprised? No. I blame it on standardized test freak out. Damn. Now I need to sign up for it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment