Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Great Termite Saga: Phase 3 AKA Home Again, Home Again, Jiggity Jig

We're home! Finally! We got to wake up in our own bed this morning and it was fantastic. Yesterday, we decided to be completely insane and do in one trip with two people what originally took three people two trips to do. We stuffed our two cars to bursting with cats, fish, clothes, cat accessories, fish tanks and stands and made the trek from Sherman Oaks to West LA. Luckily the whole thing was kinda like giving birth, it was awful and then you forget it. Not really at all, but you get the idea. At one point my Button ripped a hole in her carrier to stick her head out and cry for me, while Haji pushed out of his box and started prancing about the car meowing while I was trying to get through the drive-thru at In-n-out because everyone was hungry and grumpy. It was a long trip.

After dumping everything out at home, releasing the PISSED OFF cats and acclimating the fish we piled into bed around 2 or 3am exhausted ready to sleep for 17827823627537 10 hours. Sadly, it was not to be. At 8:30am the construction crew showed up 2 days early to install new unwanted lovely windows in the bedroom. We had to vacate the room so they could knock holes in my walls and displace the flow of the bedroom with a window half the size of the bed. The one window I was okay with extending by 4 inches is the one they forgot to order larger so it's now fairly small since the energy efficient vinyl windows have really thick frames. I would be upset but I don't really have the energy right now since my grandma just went in for her second emergency surgery to reattach her retina that has now detached twice in two weeks. My grandma just can't catch a break and is incredibly special to me so her being in pain is really hard to handle.

At least my favorite worker, a 23 year old guy named Kevin, had his wife bring their little 6 month old son, Christopher, over for me to play with. The little guy has big dark eyes, huge chipmunk cheeks and a head full of dark curls that make you wanna bury your face in his head. He had a cold as well so the occasional snot bubble and drool when he smiled just added to the charm.  I admit, I might be hugely a tad baby obsessed but loving all over everyone else's kids has successful kept me from producing one of my own so far so it's good in my book. It's almost as if I don't get my weekly dose of baby i'll spontaneously turn up col bambino, I won't be able to go to grad school and my family will disown me. You know, something along those melodramatic lines. My mom went so far as to tastelessly berate Kevin for getting married and having a baby so young, I think he was so shocked by her rudeness that he didn't know what to say. I tried to assume him that it wasn't just him and she does this to us all day and he, the guy living with his just married wife and unplanned son squashed miserably in his parent's house, gave me a look of greatest pity. Now I know it's bad. I have got to have a discussion about manners with that woman cuz she's clearly forgotten some of her Ms. Manners lessons.

I hope we can get more sleep tonight because the workers will be here again at 8:30am tomorrow, sadly without baby Christopher in tow.

No comments:

Post a Comment