Somethingswillgowrong. Don'tfreakout. Somethingswillgowrong. Don'tfreakout.
I've taken a really laid back approach to wedding planning. A comfort over style approach from my shoes to the catering. Is it comfortable, does it taste good, is it fun? We really want to enjoy our day, not spend it freaking out over little details and whoopses and things that didn't go quite right.
To make our day as stress free as possible, I mapped out my priorities early on and I've been planning a lot of things ahead of schedule to prevent hiccups. My big can't-compromise-on-must-be-perfect "thing" was the wedding photography. I figured no one would remember if the food was good, what songs we played or what our flowers looked like, but the photographs of our night will last forever. When we are old and wrinkled and arguing about who has the best dentures, and subsequently who had the best teeth, we can look back on our wedding photos and compare chompers in our perfect wedding pictures.
It doesn't help that I'm slightly obsessed with photographs and art as well, I'm out of available wall and dresser space, I compulsively make photobooks and have a stack of beautiful frames waiting to be filled. I even registered for photo ledges because I'm just that obsessed. Photos capture a moment in time, like a window into the past and I'd never remember half the things I do if I didn't have a photograph to cue the memory.
Everything was going so well. The nice to meet yous, first date, do we get along aspect went just dandy with David of Ohana Photographers. He's creative, funny, and easy going and we like to think we're equally awesome. We connected well and I think we'd be more than comfortable working with him and entrusting our precious memories into his capable hands. So where, might you ask, is the problem? Why the long, emotional, digressing post? Oh readers, it's bad. The problem is the date. Our date, the date that's been our anniversary for the last eight years. Apparently, David's sister has taken a shine to the date as well, and has decided that she wants to get married on our day too.
Cue the angst.
Obviously, David cannot be at our awesome wedding and his sister's wedding at the same time. Obviously, family obligation, blood is thicker than water, etc etc means that he will not be able to shoot out wedding. This. Really. Blows. We're 6 months in to this planning thing, and most other photographers are booked. Even if we could find an available photographer, we've looked at just about every photographer between Los Angeles and San Diego and we really have our hearts set on Ohana. At this point, nothing can compare now that we've jumped in, both feet first, ready to get wet. How many photographers do you know that would bring buckets and umbrellas to an engagement session so they could chuck water at their clients? Or throw mass quantities of large, white balls in the air to snap the perfect picture? Don't even get me started on making out on cop cars, champagne piggy back rides and goofy groom face masks. Although a lot of it is the couple, Ohana really captures everything about the wedding that we want captured.
So, what do we do??? We could go forward with David photographing our engagement and possibly our trash the dress, while his associate photographs our wedding day. OR we could start from scratch and try to find a new photographer that hopefully has our date open and is awesome and up for some serious dorky fun. I just don't know what would be best. I also have a bad feeling that our less than favorite photographs on their website are from their associate though that could just be us projecting our angst. I was thinking that maybe if David threw the trash the dress in with the package we might be able to get over ourselves and give the associate a shot. That way if the associate's photographs of our wedding day suck, at least we have some photos by David of us in our wedding clothes....we'd just have to get hair and make up done again? Man, I just don't know.
What do you think? What would you do? What should we do? Why does the one thing you don't want to go wrong always go wrong when planning a wedding???
It doesn't help that I'm slightly obsessed with photographs and art as well, I'm out of available wall and dresser space, I compulsively make photobooks and have a stack of beautiful frames waiting to be filled. I even registered for photo ledges because I'm just that obsessed. Photos capture a moment in time, like a window into the past and I'd never remember half the things I do if I didn't have a photograph to cue the memory.
All this brings me to the inevitable: we have a problem with our photographers.
Cue the angst.
Obviously, David cannot be at our awesome wedding and his sister's wedding at the same time. Obviously, family obligation, blood is thicker than water, etc etc means that he will not be able to shoot out wedding. This. Really. Blows. We're 6 months in to this planning thing, and most other photographers are booked. Even if we could find an available photographer, we've looked at just about every photographer between Los Angeles and San Diego and we really have our hearts set on Ohana. At this point, nothing can compare now that we've jumped in, both feet first, ready to get wet. How many photographers do you know that would bring buckets and umbrellas to an engagement session so they could chuck water at their clients? Or throw mass quantities of large, white balls in the air to snap the perfect picture? Don't even get me started on making out on cop cars, champagne piggy back rides and goofy groom face masks. Although a lot of it is the couple, Ohana really captures everything about the wedding that we want captured.
So, what do we do??? We could go forward with David photographing our engagement and possibly our trash the dress, while his associate photographs our wedding day. OR we could start from scratch and try to find a new photographer that hopefully has our date open and is awesome and up for some serious dorky fun. I just don't know what would be best. I also have a bad feeling that our less than favorite photographs on their website are from their associate though that could just be us projecting our angst. I was thinking that maybe if David threw the trash the dress in with the package we might be able to get over ourselves and give the associate a shot. That way if the associate's photographs of our wedding day suck, at least we have some photos by David of us in our wedding clothes....we'd just have to get hair and make up done again? Man, I just don't know.
What do you think? What would you do? What should we do? Why does the one thing you don't want to go wrong always go wrong when planning a wedding???
No comments:
Post a Comment