I met with Dr. K this morning and have a really long chat about IUI, IVF and PGD. Considering how much we're spending on IUI, she strongly recommends we move on to IVF and shoot for another awesome cycle like last month. Although I was hoping for some way to get a guaranteed or refund protected cycle, USC doesn't participate in ARC anymore and they have no cost sharing or package
deal. I even asked the billing department if I could make my own package deal and pay up front, but they said no. Legally, they can't accept money for services they haven't rendered yet, and if I get pregnant on the first try they would have to give me the money back. Boo. With my 20% Kaiser discount, one IVF cycle
would be $10,734 with an estimated $5,000 for meds for a total cycle cost
of $16,000. All their cycles using donor sperm use ICSI so that's included, as is embryo cryopreservation, storage for 1 year, and 1 fresh or frozen transfer.
On the genetics front, my RE was totally prepared. She already submitted the request for my PGD approval through Kaiser. For once, there are no hoops to jump through, they have a billing code in place for it, and it covers single gene PGD for Fragile X. It should be a comparatively small amount to add chromosome testing as well, which Dr. K said would be worth it since we're already spending so much. She also has two calls and emails into her preferred genetics company and they said they might not even need a probe to look for Fragile X anymore. I'm skeptical but we'll see what they say. I'm up for whatever gets us the best results.
On the health front, my baseline ultrasound was disappointing. I still have a lot of corpus luteum cysts that haven't resolved and it was pretty tough to see the antral follies. It's normal to have corpus luteum cysts after taking a lot of fertility drugs, they're basically the left over "houses" that the eggs grew inside. I'm going to be on birth control for 14 days and will then have another ultrasound to check and make sure the cysts have resolved. If they have, we'll go ahead with the IVF, if they haven't, I have to take the cycle off and lose a month.
E is at work so we haven't had a chance to chat about it much. I know it's a high number but it's lower than I was expecting after hearing about 20-30k+ cycles. Plus, if we get healthy embryos that test negative for Fragile X and Chromosome problems, we should have a 65% success rate of them sticking. I just hope I get another good cycle, I need those 7 eggs to try for 3 healthy embryos.
On the genetics front, my RE was totally prepared. She already submitted the request for my PGD approval through Kaiser. For once, there are no hoops to jump through, they have a billing code in place for it, and it covers single gene PGD for Fragile X. It should be a comparatively small amount to add chromosome testing as well, which Dr. K said would be worth it since we're already spending so much. She also has two calls and emails into her preferred genetics company and they said they might not even need a probe to look for Fragile X anymore. I'm skeptical but we'll see what they say. I'm up for whatever gets us the best results.
On the health front, my baseline ultrasound was disappointing. I still have a lot of corpus luteum cysts that haven't resolved and it was pretty tough to see the antral follies. It's normal to have corpus luteum cysts after taking a lot of fertility drugs, they're basically the left over "houses" that the eggs grew inside. I'm going to be on birth control for 14 days and will then have another ultrasound to check and make sure the cysts have resolved. If they have, we'll go ahead with the IVF, if they haven't, I have to take the cycle off and lose a month.
E is at work so we haven't had a chance to chat about it much. I know it's a high number but it's lower than I was expecting after hearing about 20-30k+ cycles. Plus, if we get healthy embryos that test negative for Fragile X and Chromosome problems, we should have a 65% success rate of them sticking. I just hope I get another good cycle, I need those 7 eggs to try for 3 healthy embryos.
No comments:
Post a Comment