Monday, September 13, 2010

When The Power Of The Dress Becomes Exponentially Larger Than Your Brain

There's something that happens inside your head the longer you shop for wedding dresses. The more dresses you try on, the more desperate you seem to get to find "the" dress, the one that makes you feel like a bride whatever that's supposed to feel like, and the one that makes your mother cry. It should be beautiful, timeless, elegant, fun, and most importantly You. The trouble is, who really knows what they look like as a dress? And who's to say that "You" will actually look good on, well, you? Maybe you are all about the slick mermaid style, but your hips don't realize that. Or you feel like a plunging beachy neckline, but your boobs didn't get the memo? What happens when what you thought was you, suddenly doesn't look even remotely good on you?

I always thought I was a classic all over lace, strapless, sweetheart neckline, modified a-line. Simple, elegant, and vintage. The strapless, sweetheart neckline works wonderfully. However, simple modified a-lines don't really do it for my figure. They make me look top heavy and curveless. I look much better in a big, nay, HUGE skirt bottom. The kind of skirt bottom I swore I would never wear, the kind people occasionally call the dreaded "cupcake" dress. Although I haven't found "the" dress and I'm not sure if I will off the rack, I've tried on enough to know that that simple modified a-line just isn't going to cut it. I've now switched gears and turned towards super-poofsville in search of a big poofy dress with a visually interesting skirt.

My Wish List:

- Strapless, sweetheart neckline
- Corset back (this is a must for any sort of waist definition)
- Built in bra (I can dream right?)
- Big, full skirt with asymmetrical pick ups, different fabrics. I'm thinking layers but No cupcakes.
- Lace (non-floral!), silk and tulle
- Under $2,000.00

This seems like a pretty impossible wish list to achieve off the rack, but I'm going to keep looking a bit longer before I put down the deposit on a custom dress.

In more productive news, 90 of the Save the Dates are officially on their way to the correct recipients! I had them hand cancelled at the post office so hopefully they'll arrive in good shape. Fly free little Save the Dates! Only 8 more to go if I can ever get the correct addresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment