Sunday, September 5, 2010

Do It Yourself Project #1: Save The Dates

While I was studying for my MCAT, a number of tempting packages arrived at my house. Since I didn't have the willpower to resist opening them, I ripped them open and discovered that my Save the Dates had come early! I had ordered them with slooow 21 day shipping so as not to tempt myself with them, but darn that awesome Vistaprint, they shipped them two weeks early! A day later my adhesive magnets came, and while I was taking my MCAT my honey's tie set arrived as well!

DSCN1750
Save the Dates, packed safe and sound

Without further ado, I present:

Do it Yourself Project #1: Budget Save The Dates


For this project you need a printed Save the Date card, envelopes, stamps, and optionally, adhesive magnets to turn them into magnet Save the Dates.

Save The Date Card:

Company: Vistaprint
Coupon: 100 Free Postcards
Coupon Availability: They offer this special almost everyday along with a combination of free or half price photo uploads. Get on their mailing list for easy access. I happened to order my save the dates the one day that week they didn't have half price uploads, had I waited it would have been $2.49 instead of $4.99.
Cost: 100 postcards ($0.00), optional photo upload ($4.99), 100 white envelopes ($4.99), 21 day shipping ($7.00) - Total Cost: $16.98

Optional Adhesive Magnets

Company: Craft Supplies for Less, Inc
Coupon: None
Cost: 240 1/2 inch adhesive round craft magnets (5 packages of 48) ($20.00), UPS ground shipping ($8.51) - Total Cost: $28.51

Total Cost for Save the Dates: $45.49
(Keep in mind if you don't want them to be magnets, the cost is only $16.98. We really liked the idea of them being magnets but its not necessary)



DSCN1751

The cards and envelopes are snugly packed so they don't jostle or bend during shipping. Notice the 25% off card that could be used to order equally inexpensive invitations from them. Sadly, they don't have anything in our exact colors, but their wedding invites are beautiful as well as Really affordable.

DSCN1759
The Save the Dates themselves look perfect, the colors are just as we expected and our photo printed great!

DSCN1774
The teeny tiny craft magnets arrive in five tiny bags, they're already sticky so we don't have to mess with glue. You just peel off the white backing and stick 'em.

DSCN1775
On the test card we stick them at either end, this seems to work pretty well!

DSCN1776
Return address printed in blue using a basic word template and a standard HP printer.


Volla! In about 30 seconds the Save the Date is assembled and ready to go. We printed a few test sheets before we started printing on the envelopes to make sure the font was the right size and in the correct position. The recipient's address will go on the front, also in blue, along with a cute stamp.

And just like that you have 100 custom Save the Dates for under $50.00.

No comments:

Post a Comment