Monday, September 20, 2010

The Dress

So after trying on way too many too tiny dresses, I think I've finally found THE dress. I have to say it was definitely frustrating and I was just about done with the whole dress experience. I don't know what dress shopping is like in other places, but in Los Angeles the largest dress size stocked in store is usually either a 6 or an 8 for a 5'8 woman. Remembering to convert to bridal sizes which are 3-4 sizes smaller than street sizes, you need to be smaller than a 2 or a 4 to fit into the sample dresses correctly. If you are any larger (or smaller) you will quickly find yourself trussed up with clips and strings holding the back of the dress together. When you tell your salesperson that hello, you can't possibly get an idea of how the dress will look when you can't even get the top to lay flat, they will generally ignore your concerns and insist that it'll fit when they order it. This then leads me to another HUGE problem in the bridal industry, usually for smaller people, the dress alterations.

When you order a dress from a bridal store, they don't order a size that will fit you. This is absolutely done on purpose. Unless you fit the perfect stock size, they will order multiple sizes up claiming that they are fitting the largest part of your body. For women who don't have exceptionally large breasts or abnormally large hips, or another very disproportionally large body part, you don't generally need to order multiple sizes up. Especially with corset backed dresses, you DO NOT need to order a dress 4 sizes too big to get the best silhouette. This is done so they can charge you for alterations on the dress and even when you get an initial quote for under 100 dollars, those alterations can somehow go up to 500 or 600. I have talked to so many brides now who argued and argued with the sales person who measured them and insisted they needed huge tent like dresses only to gouge them with the alteration charges later. Although I'm one of the few people who would need a dress ordered a million sizes too big to fit my chest, this is one of the main reasons I loved the idea of a custom dress from the beginning.

As predicted, my dress is going to have to be a custom gown. Since it's hard to visualize how something on paper looks on your body, I was able to get into a gown close enough to make the decision. It stays true to my original design, no "poof" but is still surprisingly flattering. It's all over lace, and unlike anything I tried on previously, is fitted all the way down to my thighs in a fit and flare style with a dual layer skirt. This I thought was a huuuge no-no, since my thighs are not even on the dainty scale but it's surprisingly flattering. My mom and grandma really liked it, and while no one cried or said the stereotypical "oh my baby's so beautiful, she's growing up", they didn't tell me I looked like a stuffed sausage either. The dress will definitely have a sweetheart neckline with a scalloped edge, a corset back and a built in bustier so I won't have to wear a bra. There was definitely no "aha!" moment where I knew this would be the dress I got married in, but I really liked it and I think I will love it once it's done.

Pictures to come as soon as I can get back to the store to put down a deposit.

No comments:

Post a Comment