Since E and I have Kaiser, our insurance should cover all prenatal care - labs, ultrasounds and appointments. However, since our plan is an HMO, they won't cover any outside care that isn't an emergency even when it's prenatal. Darn. The ultrasounds we can't get around because Dr. D has to check up on our little embie himself, but any lab can run blood tests. So, today Dr. D's nurse sent over a lab order and I had the pleasure of figuring out how to translate that order into the Kaiser system.
![]() |
| I think at a regular lab, I'd just hand this slip over. Not so at Kaiser :/ |
Unfortunately, my first and second choices for getting the labs ordered were unavailable. Both my acupuncturist (and Kaiser nurse midwife) and OB/GYN were out of the office today and wouldn't be back until Monday. My labs needed to be drawn on Saturday so that wouldn't work. My next option was to leave a message for the on call OB, which I did, but didn't feel particularly confident about it since I don't know them. After waiting a couple hours and not hearing back from them, I went for the last resource I could think of, the Kaiser infertility department.
Unlike most departments of Kaiser that prefer you contact them through the general number, the infertility department gives patients a direct line. While I was doing my IUIs with them, I never had to fuss with an automated system or tell the general system receptionist what I was trying to do. There was always a nurse or assistant on the other end of the line and there was one there today when I called almost a year to the day after my first IUI baseline appointment. I explained everything to them, that I had done IUIs there a year ago, moved on to IVF and now that I had a positive beta I was looking everywhere for someone to order tests for me. They were predictably awesome.
Two minutes on hold, during which two other nurses picked up to see if I was a new caller who needed something, and my labs were ordered. Thanks Kaiser Infertility. I should have called you guys straight away, IUI might not have worked for me but you've been awesome from the very beginning.


No comments:
Post a Comment