Sunday, August 17, 2014

Update: Freeway FAIL

My Sydney is finally home from the mechanic but she is sadly not whole. After googling around a bit, it appears she has fallen prey to what appears to be the curse of the Jettas (and other VW/Audi's). Sydney has been serving me faithfully since I bought her, yes with a few hiccups here and there, she is 12 after all, and it's crushing me that she might have a problem I can't have repaired.

The curse of the Jettas seems to start with, you guessed it, stalling on the freeway. It seems to happen to most people when they have less than a quarter tank of gas, as it did to me. The engine stalls, the power steering and breaking go out, and you have to hope you can coast to a safe place. People are usually able to restart the car, but it can take a couple of attempts. Some people see the battery light come on like mine did before it stalls.

The most successful fixes thus far are:
  • Changing the Crank Position Sensor
  • Changing the Fuel Pump
  • Cleaning the Throttle Body
  • Changing Various Filters 
  • Cleaning the Fuel Tank
  • A million other fixes from faulty ignition switches to bits of junk blocking filters
A fuel pump thing? I might need a new one of these.
Thus far, my mechanic has changed the Crank Position Sensor, changed the Spark Plugs, and cleaned the Throttle Body. The next stop would be changing the Fuel Pump but that is pretty pricey and at this point would be a shot in the dark since the pump appears to be fine. She isn't throwing any codes, there aren't any lights on, there's nothing to indicate what the problem might be. Some people have done all the above things and still have problems.

When I picked her up from the mechanic I was hoping she was fixed. I had asked the mechanic to double check the alternator again so she had a dead battery when we got back from Las Vegas. E and I jumped her and then took her on the freeway at night to try and charge up the battery. She was drinking along just fine, heading for PCH when E made the offhanded comment that he hoped she didn't stall. Not 30 seconds later and BAM, she starts dramatically slowing down despite me accelerating and I can tell she's about to stall. I pumped and pumped the gas and by some miracle the engine picked back up.

I don't want this to be me
I feel like I can't trust her anymore. I wonder when I leave the driveway or get on the freeway if she's going to stall. If I'm going to get stuck somewhere or worse, get in an accident on the freeway because the car behind me doesn't know my car just stalled and is going to stop. Inspired by my Williams and Sonoma trip, I thought about calling up my sister to head to the Pottery Barn Outlet but its an hour and a half away and I'm afraid of stalling out on the highway and getting stuck in the middle of no where.  What if she stalls on the way to my IVF appointments? On the way to my egg retrieval? Once I'm pregnant? There are tons of threads of people with VW/Audis stalling over and over. There's clearly an issue that should be recalled but nothing has been done.
 
I was below a quarter of a tank when I stalled both times so I'm hoping I can prevent the problem if I keep my tank mostly full. If it only happens with a low fuel tank, I think that points again to the fuel pump so I'll replace that next. My concern is that it's a flaw in the pump design itself, and that replacing it a million times won't fix the fundamental flaw.

I need Sydney to keep working. I just hit 70,000 miles on her so she's practically a baby, even if she's 12 years old. Our next big purchase was going to be a family car, but since we need to purchase our family first, the car is going to have to wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment