Thursday, August 28, 2014

The Wheels of Infertility Turn Slowly

It feels like I've been playing phone tag all day long. Making calls, missing calls, no one is ever in the office when I need to speak with them and they only seem to return my calls when I have to pee. Still, I did manage to get a few things done today:
  • Apply for Compassionate Care program and First Steps to get financial help.   
    • We were approved for the minimum amount, 5% and 10%, but I'll take whatever we can get.
  • Follow up with Reprogenetics. The billing manager needs a letter of agreement from Kaiser but the Kaiser lady has been on Jury Duty and then the billing manager went on vacation Friday to Monday. On Tuesday, both should be back in the office and I should get my letter. 
    • Still no confirmation of the letter. I tried calling a couple times today but had no luck. 
  • I need to order a very large amount of sperm. SCRC wants two vials, Reprogenetics wants two vials, and I'm thinking we should have another two on ice to ensure our donor remains available to us. That's 6 vials for roughly $5,000.
  • Meet with the financial adviser at SCRC to officially sign the paperwork and pay the nonrefundable $18,230.00 fee for our two cycles. As the cycles progress, we will pay separately for medication, ICSI (which is required for PGD), PGD biopsy (which includes assisted hatching) and our FET. 
    • I've got the forms mostly filled out, I just need to go over what is and isn't covered once more. They use really specific wording and I'm thinking they're going to make me pay separately for my two ultrasounds before stimms start, the mandatory ultrasounds that check if I'm suppressed and good to go.  
  • Submit the paperwork to Reprogenetics. I've been waiting on the letter of approval so I know what my portion will be. I think we're going to pay for the additional chromosome testing.  
    • I just sent off my paperwork. We decided to make up our minds about the additional chromosome testing once we know how many embryos we have. If we only get a couple, we'll skip it. If we get a bunch, like 10-14, we'll do it on the Fragile X negative embryos.
  • Send DNA samples from myself, my mother and my sister to Reprogenetics for the creation of our probe.
  • Hammer out a protocol with my doctor. Figure out what our plan of action is and decide how we're going to proceed. 
    •  I spoke with the doctor today and we're going with a very unconventional cycle. Since I had such a nice response to my last IUI, we're going to try and repeat that success. We're going with an all Menopur cycle with some growth hormone and cetrotide thrown in for good measure.  
  • Pay to have two vials of sperm shipped to Reprogenetics for the creation of our probe.
  • Pick up and bring two vials to SCRC and pay the $500 storage fee to have them stored there. 
  • Pick up and pay for my first round of medication.  
    • I did some more research on this and it's going to be PRICEY. The Menopur alone will be $5k per cycle, plus the HGH, HGC, Anti-inflammatory and everything else. It's going to be at least $6k per cycle.   
There's still so much to do and a lot is hanging on that Kaiser approval. I can't send in any of my DNA samples or proceed with Reprogenetics until they have their letter. I also need to call my doctor back, get him a copy of a test that was left out of my file and find out what dosage of certain meds they want me to look for so I can get a better price quote.

No comments:

Post a Comment