Somehow, despite 10 million reasons not to, our family has adopted a new fur baby! It was like all the planets aligned and she fell into our lap, too sweet and wonderful to refuse. She was dumped in the shady, should-I-be-wearing-this-color part of Silverlake with a note that read "2-3 month old GSD puppy" tied around her neck. I can't imagine how anyone could have abandoned that sweet face, but they did and miraculously she wasn't hurt by a car or stray dog. For the first few days, we had our friend who fosters for German Shepherd Rescue keep her since he was set up for another dog and we weren't sure if we could keep her. I brought my mom to meet her on Tuesday and by Thursday E and my sister L were meeting her and we were taking her home.
 |
| I know she looks giant in this picture but she's actually really small |
Thus far she's been wonderful. E keeps saying we've won the doggy lottery, she's just been incredibly well behaved. We've decided to go with crate training since it's so effective, even if its super hard on us. She puts up a fuss when we first put her in the crate but she's been accident free so far so I think it's working. She got her first round of puppy shots, weighs 22 pounds and according to her teeth is almost 12 weeks old.
 |
| In our foster's lap |
Naming her has turned into an epic battle and we've run through dozens of different possibilities. Some of the top choices were Zelda, Olive, Brynn/a/ie, Ruby, Alvie and Eva. I think though, after much consideration, that she will be our little Milou. We were really torn between Malou (mAh-loo) and Milou (Me-loo), but I think Milou is sticking. It's tough when you have to get four people to agree!
 |
| Getting fitted for her new collar |
Our next step is to enroll her in puppy training classes, beginning next Saturday or the following Wednesday. It should cover the basics like potty and crate training, sit, stay, and leash walking. I can't wait to get her started on obedience though, she's so smart I cant wait to see what she'll be capable of.
 |
| Snoozing after a hard day of playing |
No comments:
Post a Comment