Sunday, as E and I were getting ready to drive
our kids our junior bridesmaid, N, and junior groomsmen, S, down to camp, E realized that it was our three month anniversary. I'm not surprised that I didn't realize it sooner, E has always been a wiz with dates and numbers and the time has passed so quickly. I'm not sure where these last nine years of our relationship have gone but these last few weeks where we've been raising Milou and hosting N and S have zoomed by at light speed.
 |
| Milou is already 26 pounds! |
Last Thursday we picked N and S up at the airport and went straight to the Aquarium of the Pacific. They're in that place where they're not quite teenagers yet but they're not really children anymore, one moment they're ohmygosh30yearsold mature and the next they're closer to a tantruming 6 year old. Luckily, we had a great time at the aquarium with no meltdowns and much appreciation for the tropical birds, puffer fish and moon jellies. I only got minimal complaints when I told them I wouldn't buy $3 one ounce cups of nectar for the birds and although I could tell S wasn't happy, he was able to be resourceful and use nectar flowers to attract the birds. They worked better than the cups anyway (what bird would be attracted to a plastic cup??) and I got approximately 284329874634 pictures of them holding the birds.
The next day was spent at play dates and a friends BBQ, where they ran themselves into exhaustion with a pack of kids I've watched be born and grow up. Some are now taller than I am and other's have changed so much that they're nearly impossible to recognize as the soft, bow mouthed newborns and bright eyed toddlers they used to be. I did a double take when I saw a little boy I used to watch at 5 as a grown up 12 year old with a mop of shaggy hair and a "Death to Humans" t-shirt. His little sister who I watched as a baby is now a little girl, running around and playing rough'n'tumble with the boy. As an adult, you don't realize how much can change in 7 years until you look at a child.
 |
| Beanbag Battle |
|
 |
| Captain Australia |
|
 |
| Ziggy watches N and S battle |
|
 |
| S and T battle for the fort |
|
Saturday ended up being a lazy day, although we started out with grandiose plans for visiting the LA Science Center. I think the BBQ the day before wore them out a bit, so instead we watched movies, went to the mall, and went out to our favorite mexican restaurant. Although I was hoping to get them into bed early, they hadn't seen the 1980's version of Batman so E, S and N piled into our bed and watched batman kick butt until midnight when we foisted them into their own beds and spent a good half hour giggling back and forth through the wall. When N called from her bed in her squeakiest sci-fi voice "Do you know who the fiend is? ....it's the LAXATIVE!" and we all burst into uncontrollable fits of laughter at this nonsense while S called "In Bed!" (thank god they still don't know why this is funny), I realized we had reached the
that time and it was time to sleep.
 |
| N and S's awesome camp |
Dropping them off at camp was a kind of bittersweet experience. I know they'll have a fabulous time although we'll miss them while they're gone. S acclimated pretty much instantly as soon as his friends got there but N took a little bit longer. We walked around the camp with her for about 2 hours and she still wasn't quite ready for us to go. I think it's going to be a hormonal summer for her and I felt like a giant meanie leaving her there when she wasn't ready to let go. We made up the secret word "pumpernickel" for her to write to us in letters if she was having a tough time, like "man they served us pumpernickel bagels for breakfast" instead of saying "i hate it i'm having a terrible time". Home sickness usually comes in bouts so hopefully hers are few and far between and they both have a great time.
 |
| Beautiful Gazebo |
After dropping off the kiddos, E and I went to visit his stepdad G at his house where we got married. It was a little surreal to see it looking like a house instead of our wedding, but he kept up the gazebo we had our ceremony under and has a little table and chairs beneath it. I really can't believe it's already been three months since we said our I do's. E says it feels more like a few weeks, but we've been together so long he doesn't really count in months anymore. I keep thinking of all the things we still have to do like send more thank you notes, lose the few pounds we gained so we can take our day after photos, choose photos for our wedding album, etc etc. If life goes this quickly without kids, I can't imagine how it will fly once we have our own! For now I want to try and focus more on enjoying each other and our surrogate children N and S. Oh, and getting out those remaining thank you notes >_<
No comments:
Post a Comment