Sunday, June 12, 2011

(Bum) Thumb's The Word

Le sigh. Somehow, I managed to slam my thumb in the car door today. We were parked on a slight incline and I was reaching to get groceries and close the door at the same time when the door swung shut and my thumb was in the way. It hurt pretty frickin' bad, enough that I got all pale, clammy and nauseous which was worse than the actual thumb slam. I reaaaally didn't want to go to the ER but I called and they said they weren't busy so Milou went into her crate, E covered my baby sitting job and my mom drove me to the ER. Thank goodness it's my left thumb and not my right, I already feel useless and it's been less than a day.

I should have taken a profile shot. It was swollen to twice the
size of my right thumb and stuck in a bent position.
After some x-rays and a doctor's exam, it seems that I have torn my extensor tendon. Fun right? If I'd just broken the bone it would have been a quick month in a splint fix. Instead, I have to wear a splint for months and months to straighten it and might need surgery. I think that's a bit premature but I'll have the surgeon they referred me to check it out.

Splint. AKA Major Pain in my ASS
Ugh. This is not the way I wanted to start my summer. It's gonna be pretty hard to go swimming at the beach with this get up on my hand.

Edit: I saw the surgeon! It turns out I only have a partial tear so no surgery, yay! It'll hurt for a long time and I'll have to keep it bandaged and take care of it, but it should eventually be okay :)

No comments:

Post a Comment