E's results came in last Monday and due to some fax mishaps, we weren't able to get our hands on them last Thursday. Once we did get them, I kind of wished they hadn't come in. It turns out that we are dealing with rather severe male factor infertility - low sperm count, less than 1 million, and 0 motility. It actually says 0, not low, or hey just a few are determined enough to swim, actually 0. What lazy little fuckers. E and I keep picturing them playing on a PS3 like nah, I could move but I'm much too busy.
This news puts us into the worst 30% - 30% of couples have female factor infertility, 30% have male factor infertility and 30%, including us, are unfortunate enough to have both. Basically, we have 0% of conceiving on our own. Kind of like 0% motility.
Today we had a phone consultation with a doctor at one of the local fertility clinics. I don't know the first thing about selecting a fertility clinic, but this one offered a free phone consultation so I figured it was a good first step. E and I spoke with him for a few minutes on the phone and once he heard my lab results he pretty much said, aw crap, you should have started fertility treatment yesterday, you have diminished ovarian reserve/premature ovarian failure/old and moldy eggs. He was less worried about E's abysmal SA results since all he needs is one spermie to create an embryo, even if it's poor quality and even if he has to go in to E's testicles to get it.
He immediately booked us for the first available appointment after this cycle ends so he can ultrasound my ovaries and see if there are any follicles. There should be some, since I definitely ovulate every month, but I don't know about their quality. And of course, since we have no infertility coverage, this is all going to be out of pocket. After we hung up with him I had to call back and speak to their financial department to find out a little bit more about cost. It seems that the appointment will run us $200 and the ultrasound either $275 or $700 depending on whether it's a regular ultrasound or a fluid ultrasound. This is where I'm officially starting the tab for our infertility treatment (Plus E's SA!), if there's a higher power out there, please have mercy on my uterus and our checkbooks.
![]() |
| (Source) |
My positive spin for the day is that if E's swimmers could swim, we would already be pregnant or have a baby right now but have NO idea that I'm rapidly running out of eggs. We would have tried to have a second child in a couple years only to find that I am completely out of eggs and have no chance of having another. Because his sperm can't swim, we have the opportunity to address these problems now, while I still have eggs, hopefully enabling us to bank some embryos and have more than one child in the future.

No comments:
Post a Comment