After much anticipation, I finally had the saline ultrasound and HSG
this morning! And they weren't too bad.
The saline ultrasound was
worse than the HSG, but the AFC/Exam portion of it was worse than the
actual saline portion. I am definitely not a fan of the trans-vaginal ultrasounds, they are fast rising to the top of my things that suck list. The Dr. had a tough time counting follies on one
side and had to press down on my stomach while pressing up with the wand
which was really uncomfortable. She also had a tough time placing the
catheter (speculum, dilate the cervix, thread the catheter through and up into the uterus) so it took awhile, but the saline injection itself wasn't too uncomfortable. All in all, I was really glad E was there holding my hand.
My
ovaries looked fine, if rather empty, and my uterus looked fine too.
The only concern was that she thinks she dislodged a piece of my
endometrial lining when she put the catheter in but she was only 90% sure.
If the little blob wasn't endometrial lining, it could have been a tiny
polyp so she suggested I come back for another test, a Hysteroscopy.
It sounds like an awful test (several needles to my uterus??? while I'm awake??) but she
said if we're going to do IVF we might as well check everything :(
I'm
still not sure how I feel about it, especially since I'm pretty darn
sure it was just dislodged lining. She did a detailed ultrasound before
inserting the catheter and it wasn't there until after she put the
catheter in. If I go through with the test I'm supposed to start taking
progesterone tonight which will thin out my lining and stop the 10.5mm
follie she saw developing from maturing. I'm a week away from ovulating, from that little follie being ready to go.
Logically I know DH and I have no chance of conceiving with 0 motility but actively preventing any chance just feels so wrong.
Since
the RE had such a tough time getting the catheter in, she said she was
going to leave it in so we could use it for my HSG. Then she
accidentally pulled it out at the end, working on autopilot. Since she
does these all day and the radiology department has less experience with
cervixes, she put in a second one which was just soooo much fun -_- And
as I'd read, you definitely leak saline afterwards, I didn't notice until it went
down my leg, while I was still laying there and got my socks wet, ugh. I
then got to get dressed with the catheter taped to my thigh, go down 4
floors, fill my prescription at the pharmacy, cross the street to
another building, go up a floor and stand in the waiting room since I couldn't sit -_-
That
was probably my least favorite part of the experience, the radiologist
later asked me how I got there since I didn't have a wheelchair and you
don't generally walk around with a catheter hanging out of your
ladybits. I told her I took tiny steps lol. After they wouldn't let E in, and the radiology tech
tried to direct me into the wrong position, I was really glad that I'd
had it put in by the RE, even if I had an uncomfortable walk. All the radiologist had to do was plug into the
catheters IV port and inject the dye. Both tubes were nice and open, the dye shot through one side and after I tiled slightly, shot through the other, and not a
single cramp from the dye, though it could have been that I was so
uncomfy already I didn't notice.
All in all not too bad, a little uncomfortable but not awful by any stretch.
Showing posts with label saline ultrasound. Show all posts
Showing posts with label saline ultrasound. Show all posts
Thursday, December 26, 2013
Sunday, December 1, 2013
New RE = More Tests
So after waiting over a month for the urology appointment, the Kaiser
system worked a little faster and we were able to get in to see the RE
on Black Friday. My overall impression of her was positive, she allowed
us to share our story and explain where we are and agreed with most of
our assumptions and concerns. For me, she ordered more lab work as well
as a saline ultrasound and a hysterosalpingogram. For E, another couple lab tests. Once we begin the
procedure for IVF, Kaiser will no longer cover anything so she would
like to cover all our bases now.
I will have to go in for my labs on Monday and pick up a course of antibiotics for the hysterosalpingogram since E had to get to work on Friday and we didn't have time. The RE said she very rarely has a case where they can't find any reason at all for male infertility and thinks E might have a microdeletion on his Y chromosome. If he does, the location will play a big part in whether we're able to retrieve viable sperm. And, if we can get viable sperm that produces viable embryos, we will have to have PGD to select for female embryos since any male children will inherit the same deletion.
However, given the information we have thus far, it's likely that we're going to have to use a donor. The RE does agree that I have diminished ovarian reserve and is very concerned that we may have a rapidly closing window to retrieve viable eggs. There was also some confusion over my AFC, during the appointment the RE at the fertility clinic told me 3 and 4 follies for a total of 7. However, the paperwork he faxed over said 3 and 7 for a total of 10, which while it would be AMAZING, doesn't match up with my FSH or my memory. Regardless, the new RE is concerned that in a couple years I will not have any eggs left.
Given that prognosis, we need to think seriously about the IVF vs IUI decision. Kaiser would pay for an IUI, which would be much less invasive and inexpensive. If we were successful, it would probably be at least 2 years before we tried for a second child and by then I might be completely out of eggs. If I did still have high quality eggs left for siblings, we would need to store our donor of choice and do IUI again. If we do IVF now, it will be entirely out of pocket, more invasive and expensive, but will hopefully yield enough embryos that we can freeze some and use them for a second and/maybe third child. It would also mean we would have the same donor for all our children since the embryos would all be made at once.
We've been talking back and forth about it and have just started to casually look at donors online. We won't have DH's results for another month since they have to grow the genetic test in culture, but they probably won't be good. In the meantime, the RE wants me to take DHEA three times a day, keep taking a prenatal and see if I can get my thyroid levels down. While all my tests for the past 10 years have been below or around 1, my last one was 3. Although it's still technically normal, numbers over 2.5 are associated with much higher rates of miscarriage so I'm going to need to do something about that.
I will have to go in for my labs on Monday and pick up a course of antibiotics for the hysterosalpingogram since E had to get to work on Friday and we didn't have time. The RE said she very rarely has a case where they can't find any reason at all for male infertility and thinks E might have a microdeletion on his Y chromosome. If he does, the location will play a big part in whether we're able to retrieve viable sperm. And, if we can get viable sperm that produces viable embryos, we will have to have PGD to select for female embryos since any male children will inherit the same deletion.
However, given the information we have thus far, it's likely that we're going to have to use a donor. The RE does agree that I have diminished ovarian reserve and is very concerned that we may have a rapidly closing window to retrieve viable eggs. There was also some confusion over my AFC, during the appointment the RE at the fertility clinic told me 3 and 4 follies for a total of 7. However, the paperwork he faxed over said 3 and 7 for a total of 10, which while it would be AMAZING, doesn't match up with my FSH or my memory. Regardless, the new RE is concerned that in a couple years I will not have any eggs left.
Given that prognosis, we need to think seriously about the IVF vs IUI decision. Kaiser would pay for an IUI, which would be much less invasive and inexpensive. If we were successful, it would probably be at least 2 years before we tried for a second child and by then I might be completely out of eggs. If I did still have high quality eggs left for siblings, we would need to store our donor of choice and do IUI again. If we do IVF now, it will be entirely out of pocket, more invasive and expensive, but will hopefully yield enough embryos that we can freeze some and use them for a second and/maybe third child. It would also mean we would have the same donor for all our children since the embryos would all be made at once.
We've been talking back and forth about it and have just started to casually look at donors online. We won't have DH's results for another month since they have to grow the genetic test in culture, but they probably won't be good. In the meantime, the RE wants me to take DHEA three times a day, keep taking a prenatal and see if I can get my thyroid levels down. While all my tests for the past 10 years have been below or around 1, my last one was 3. Although it's still technically normal, numbers over 2.5 are associated with much higher rates of miscarriage so I'm going to need to do something about that.
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)