Monday, June 1, 2015

Grumpy Cat

Since getting our positive, I've noticed some changes in our wonderful pets behavior. Some things are mild and innocuous but others might potentially be cause for concern.

Our boy kitties are solid. They're in a serious bromance and usually don't pay too much attention to the humans since they're too busy grooming and cuddling. Since our positive, they're a little more cuddly, they want to sit on my belly and get pets whenever I'm sitting down in one of their spaces and will seek me out a little more often for attention. Aside from that, they're not concerned with change as long as their meals keep coming on schedule.
Your belly is my new favorite bed
Milou, our soon to be big sister, is a little more protective. She's fine with other people around, loves children, but she's really not loving other dogs in my space. My mother's dog is particularly upsetting for her, she doesn't want him near our "personal" space - my bedroom, her bed, her crate. On Saturday in her agility class, the instructors dominant male dog tried to lean into my side for butt scratches and Milou basically draped herself across my legs and laid in my lap. She usually backs off from him since she's on the submissive side but it was pretty clear she would not be doing so this time. Her mama is off limits. I'm not really concerned about this behavior, it's normal for dogs to get a little more protective when their people are pregnant and she's still perfectly happy with people, both adults, kiddos, and littles.
I might be smiling but I'm not happy about this
I think the wild card here is probably going to be our girl kitty, Button. She's a 100% mamas girl, shy and scared of other people, and she's making it pretty clear that she is Pissed. We've always known she wasn't a huge fan of change, but in the past she's done really well moving houses, accepting new pets, making things work as long as she had her mama. Now, she's quite literally lashing out. For the past few weeks, she's been reaching out with a paw whenever I stop petting her to grab me. Today, I was walking by her cat tree on my way to put away laundry and stopped to pet her. I only gave her quick pets since I had clothes in my hands and on my way back past her tree she reached out and whacked me right in the face. She actually gave me two teensy scratches and I can't remember her ever intentionally scratching me before in the 10 years I've had her. I gave her a stern talking to and she wouldn't even look at me, she is not a happy camper.
Don't let my big eyes fool you, I'm really grumpy right now
I'm not really concerned about Button with a baby, she's an under the bed, in the closet cat who has her little space that she doesn't leave.  I'm fairly sure she's going to keep as far away from baby as possible. But in the meantime, I need to find some way to make her feel secure and loved so she knows these changes are good ones. I can't have her taking swipes at me every time I go by and I don't want her feeling upset and stressed for the rest of the year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment