Now, as I'm applying to medical school, I feel like I'm confronted with the same issue. My maiden name is on all my transcripts, and believe me there's a lot of them. Since I'm getting married before grad school, does that mean my honey's name would be on my medical degree? That sits a little weird with me, I feel like the degree I've worked my whole life towards should have my name on it, while at the same time not wanting my name at all. And what if something happens? If my medical degree says Dr. MyNameHisName, what would it be like to practice as Dr. MyName if we ever broke up? I feel like after 8 years I should have a pretty good handle on being called Mrs. HisName or Dr. HisName but it just doesn't feel like me. I love my honey and I want to be a unified family "The X's" (Maybe I should have picked better letters...), but I just don't want to give up my name.
And what about children? They'd be our children, so shouldn't they share "our" name, not just his or mine? I definitely want to have the same name as my children, but I know my honey absolutely does not want them hyphenated. Although our name hyphenates perfectly, mine is a medium length and his is short, ******-****, I wouldn't want to saddle my kids with a long collection of names. What if they want to hyphenate when they get married? I wouldn't want them to be Name X-Y-A. Or even worse, if they married someone with a hyphenated name Child X-Y-A-B. Can you imagine what they would name their kids?
And really, how archaic can we be? I am not a piece of property passing from one household to another. He should not ask me to do something he's not willing to do himself. So do we both hyphenate? Does anyone really use the hyphenated names or does the first one get left off? Should I have him start calling me Mrs. HisName to see if it's just something I have to get used to? I definitely don't want him to take my last name exclusively, but maybe he could add it as a second middle name? Maybe we both could? He would like me to take his name, but I don't think he feels particularly strongly about it.
I just don't know. For me, this is a conundrum.
The name thing is definitely difficult in this day and age. So many women are self sufficient for so long and have such a strong personal identity that the thought of giving up their name to take on their hubby's is just outrageous. It really is an almost archaic practice at this point, but at the same time, it stays around because its practical and convenient. Even when people do hyphenate, one of the names usually does get left off, though I've known a few people with regularly used hyphenated names. At the same time though, if the woman takes a hyphenated name, while the man keeps his, that sets the woman apart from her future family, and (mildly) disassociates her from her kids. I envision future kiddies going "Mommy? Why is your last name not the same as mine or daddy's?" when they come home with that inevitable homework assignment involving family names.
ReplyDeleteI think that your concern is justifiable due to how long you've worked toward the MD position, but at the same time, if you dislike the name so much, it makes ZERO sense to hold on to it. Also, regarding transcripts, I'm sure the people who deal with paperwork at this high of a scholastic level are more than used to dealing with this kind of change. After all, med school does come relatively late in life, and some people don't start it until their thirties.
I've struggled with this same debate, but for an entirely different reason - I love my last name. I'm sad to see it go. However, with the desire to have a unified family (so shoot me, I'm traditional), I'm seriously considering taking my name as a middle name, and taken just his name for my last...
Would you keep your middle name and have two middle names? I like my middle name, so I wouldn't want to see that go. I think the hyphen thing is tough too because I really don't think I want to hyphenate my kids names but I definitely want to share a name with them. I'll probably end up gong with a second middle name as well, just so that I'm tied to my degrees.
ReplyDelete