While the RE had previously said he thought E's poor quality sperm was the result of genetics, he has now referred us to a urologist to rule out things like hormone imbalances and physical problems. I had asked about this during our initial consultation but he had tentatively ruled it out since E's first SA did show sperm present. It makes me really glad that we did another SA to confirm, since I was sure there had to be something more going on than just shitty genetics.
This morning, I called and set up an appointment with a urology specialist at Kaiser on the 10th. I'm not sure they are going to be able to do anything since we have no infertility coverage, but I figured it would pay to start with them before going directly to the outside specialist. The RE referred us to an excellent urologist who is one of the top in the country for male infertility problems, but he would be very pricey. Just in case, we called as got some info about him as well and he has an opening on the 17th if Kaiser is no help.
We also have an appointment with a genetic counselor set up with Kaiser that I think they're going to cover, though the testing will likely be out of pocket. It will probably be a moot point anyway if we have to use a donor, but I am still proceeding with the intent of using E's sperm. I want to have our babies, not just a baby and I'm not ready to give up on that.
No comments:
Post a Comment