E (aka Mr. Button) Stay Out!
Confidential Wedding Information Beyond This Point!
Today I had my second dress fitting, my first official dress fitting with my actual dress! Since I'd already had my pattern fitting while on my period and stressing about weight loss, I wasn't too nervous this time around. I even ate a giant fattening lunch two hours before (note: don't eat at The Pantry unless you're ordering breakfast. Yes I know they have an amazing reputation, just trust me I know my food and you don't want theirs.) and leisurely strolled in, with company this time, to browse through the magazines while Liza got my dress ready.
A few minutes later, Liza came in and told me my dress was ready and would my sister and mom mind waiting outside while I get all dolled up. I think this is where the excitement really started to creep in and not even staggering around the room starkers while trying to step into my dress could take away from it. After that, my first glimpse of my dress kind of pooled on the ground waiting for me to step into it was nothing compared to seeing it on properly. To start, it fit, it actually fit! On my body that's a nearly impossible feat to achieve! Of course the hem needed taking up (I refuse to wear giant heels) and the tush needed to come in a bit but it was an incredible feeling seeing the whole thing come together. My little sister even cried, reminding me to ask my make up artist to use waterproof make up. In all the excitement we unfortunately all forgot to take a picture.
(Source)
Mentally add my head onto this models body with a sweetheart neckline, corset back and no sash. Thanks for using your imagination!
In my head, I imagine wearing your wedding dress must be a lot like the white coat ceremony. You've been working for months to prepare for school. You've dreamed about donning the garb worn by so many incredible people before you and now it's finally your turn. Admittedly, while I never dreamed or thought about any potential wedding I might have, planning my actual wedding has, overall, been a lovely experience and I can't wait to see all my efforts come to fruition. The best part has probably been seeing my mom slowly come around and begin to somewhat accept me for who I am. She even told me today, in complete honesty, that I shouldn't lose any more weight! She did expand upon this by saying that this was because I wouldn't be able to maintain a more significant weight loss, but I believe the comment was meant with the right spirit. Personally I think knocking off a few more pounds would make the dress even more amazing but I'm happy with the way it looks now as well.
Now given Liza's amazing eye for dresses, I expected my wedding dress to look pretty phenomenal. What I wasn't expecting was to have my mind completely changed about my veil. From the beginning I've been fairly adamant that I wanted a sweet vintage birdcage veil with a flower fascinator. I selected the veil early on from a seller on Etsy and have been waiting to order it until after I'd tried some veils on with my dress. Unfortunately, after only a few minutes with a birdcage veil on, it became clear to everyone that it just didn't fit with the gown. It looked too busy, too poofy and the texture was all off.
Shockingly, and going completely against anything I thought I wanted, the veil that looked best with the dress was a long (and by long I mean 120 inches!) plain angel veil with tiny crystals scattered throughout. It probably took us 20 veils to come to this conclusion since it was difficult to walk the line between accenting the beautiful lace and competing with it. While this wasn't what I thought I wanted, it's definitely the right decision. The only problem is we sort of forgot to ask the price and now I'm going to have to call back tomorrow and see if we can even afford the aforementioned veil.
(Source)
I can't imagine that my experience is atypical, especially now that I've ended up with both a gown and, baring an obscene price, most likely a veil that I wasn't expecting to like. I think a big part of it is the gap between your expectations of what you'll like and reality of what looks good on you and in this case I'm glad reality turned out so well :) I promise I'll get some photos at my next fitting on the 17th!


No comments:
Post a Comment