Since we've been running out of usable floor in our relatively tiny space, we decided to move our storage up on the wall. It took three trips to IKEA (unfortunately I couldn't find any antique wall mounted storage) and eight hours to hang them in the studs and with toggle/butterfly bolts. One is a bright red wall shelf with a cool hinged door but the others are actually kitchen cabinets that I flipped and used for DVD storage. They were definitely a creative score, since they're normally eighty bucks and I got them for less than twenty bucks on clearance. A few modifications and an additional bracket and bam, DVD storage on the wall.
Right now there are storage bins inside the red cabinet and storage bins above it.
The kitchen cabinets are filled with DVDs, double stacked, and freed up tons of space on my shelves. I generally don't like double stacking DVDs since if you can't see them you won't watch them, but I ended up putting seasons of TV shows back there and I think it'll be okay.
Both of them are up there so solid a small adult could sleep or hang on them. They definitely make the walls look a bit "fuller", a nice way of saying cluttered, but I'm happy if they free up space elsewhere.
In the spirit of spring/summer cleaning, we also started tackling the closet and garage. Some lovely Ikea shoe boxes now sit on my shoe shelves stuffed with rarely used clothing. Five of those small bad boys and space bags for sweaters freed up an entire drawer and shelf, making way for my massive sock collection to have its own drawer. We also donated a good couple bags to charity which freed up even more space.
The garage was a bit more complicated since we have tons of boxes filled with stuff, so space bags and those big rubbermaid storage bins came in super handy. I very much enjoyed going through things and found a bunch of my old baby clothes (hello eighties!) and my moms old letter collection, which pretty much exactly matches the nursery letter walls I've been coveting on pinterest. It's not helping to reduce my baby rabies but I am really looking forward to putting them to good use :)


No comments:
Post a Comment